I have started making it at home, with a few small tweaks. I have kids, and so they are more likely to eat it if I chop up the kale pretty finely… they are not huge fans of the texture. Also, I tend to substitute roasted sweet potatoes for the butternut squash, and add peas and white beans. Other than that… it pretty much the same.
I love it. My husband LOVES it. My friend/coworker, who claims to never eat veggies of any kind, loved it. My kids eat it without complaining to much.
When I have tried making it at home, I could never get the salad dressing quite right… until today. Most recipes I have found just use tahini, lemon juice and soy sauce, but the ingredients of the Starbucks salad lists water, olive oil, honey, parsley, sesame oil, and garlic as well. Using the ingredients list and this recipe I found on food.com, I finally nailed it.
Lemon Tahini Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup tahini (roasted sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 small lemons)
- 3 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup parsley tops
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
Hearty Veggie Bowl
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- broccoli floweretts
- roasted sweet potato, in marble sized cubes
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 chopped beets (I usually use the precooked one from Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 can white beans
- Lemon Tahini Dressing (above)